GML Code Auto-Formatter

Found this on the steam forums, useful tip if like me you like to have your gml code nicely formatted, you can use the site:

http://jsbeautifier.org/

to format your code.

Source:

GML Code Auto-Formatter :: GameMaker: Studio General Discussions

 

Virtual Keys, Ads and GUI Size in GameMaker

Just a quick note about making sure virtual keys and ads are placed where you expect in your GameMaker game. If you have something like this in a 960×540 resolution game:

virtual_key_add(0, 420, 256, 120, vk_left);
virtual_key_add(704, 420,  256, 120, vk_right);

which places two virtual keys towards the bottom of the screen, then you’ll need to call display_set_gui_size(960,540) (or whatever your game’s resolution is) to ensure the keys are placed at the same relative position for devices with different resolutions. The same goes for placing ads on the screen.

What I’m Reading (January 2014)

Books I’ve read over the last month, in order of impact descending:

  1. How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life by Scott Adams
  2. The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea by Bob Burg and John David Mann
  3. Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions by Guy Kawasaki
  4. So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love by Newport, Cal
  5. Linchpin: Are You Indispensable? by Seth Godin

My Global Game Jam ’14 Submission

Bat Sagas: An Auditory Adventure

http://globalgamejam.org/2014/games/bat-sagas

This was my submission for the 2014 Global Game Jam. The theme this year was “We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.” Somehow I ended up at a game where you can’t really see anything at all. You take on the role of a bat (which by the way bats aren’t really blind in real life) and fly through the forest using only audio feedback to navigate the trees.

It was a fun challenge to build a game with no visuals and I also discovered an entire genre of games for the visually impaired or just those who want to be immersed in an auditory experience.

The game is far from perfect, but for my first game jam project I’m quite proud of the results.

3 General Principles

From the book HTML5 Game Development with GameMaker, there are 3 keys to increasing the perceived quality of your game:

Consistency

Readability

Polish

Like many other things in life, it’s the extra attention to detail that makes your game standout.

Some notes on setting up BlogEngine.Net on appharbor

These aren’t necessarily appharbor specific, but i figured them out while trying to get my blog up and running on appharbor:

1. The default BlogEngine.Net source isn’t set up as a web application project, you’ll need to download the web application version of the project to get it to build in appharbor

2. Because the default BlogEngine project is not a web app, most themes aren’t set up for the web application solution, so you’ll need to change the “codefile” reference in the site.master file to “codebehind” for site.master.cs or else you get an error like “site.master.cs does not exist”

3. I also had to move the content files from outside of the content folder to the top level folder of the theme. It looks like that’s the expected location for BlogEngine.Net, but most themes I downloaded have the needed files in a content folder.

And if you’re just getting started, this blog post was helpful: http://ypblog.apphb.com/post/Hosting-BlogEngine-blog-on-AppHarbor.aspx

you can just substitute bitbucket for git and it should work just as well, if like me you prefer bitbucket for your source.

A quick note about asp.net mvc Url Helpers and AppHarbor

If you’re using some of the Url Helpers in asp.net mvc, like Url.Action in one of your controllers, you may run into an issue where the generated url will contain a non public port number. In that case, you can just add a setting to your config value as noted here:

http://support.appharbor.com/kb/getting-started/workaround-for-generating-absolute-urls-without-port-number

Setting aspnet:UseHostHeaderForRequestUrl 

to true should remedy the issue.

It should look something like this:

<appSettings>

….

<add key=”aspnet:UseHostHeaderForRequestUrl” value=”true”/>
</appSettings>